Just the Facts

Just the Facts on Climate Change

By No Labels
April 22, 2019 | Blog

For the past 49 years, Earth Day celebrates something we all share – our planet.  Here are five facts about climate change and the effect it has on earth. 

1. It’s Getting Hotter

Modern global record keeping of weather began in 1880. According to both the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), 17 of the 18 warmest years have occurred since 2001.[1]

2. Natural Disasters Are Getting Worse

In 2017, natural disasters cost the United States $306 billion, a record high. 16 of them surpassed a billion dollars in damage each.[2]


Ultimate Guide to the 2020 Election

Cut through the noise this election season with No Labels’ Ultimate Guide to the 2020 Election.


3. Seas Are Rising:

The equivalent of a football field worth of land disappears from the Louisiana coast every 100 minutes on average.[3]

4. While There Is Scientific Debate About the Future Costs, Risks, and Tradeoffs of Climate Change … ThereIs No Debate about Whether It’s Happening:

97% of published climate research reaches the consensus that climate change is both real and influenced by human activity.[4]A 2017 study found the other 3% of studies were all in some way flawed in their research and methodology.[5]

5. The Fourth National Climate Assessment – representing the consensus view of 13 U.S. federal agencies and 300 experts) – was released in 2018

It stated, “Climate change creates new risks and exacerbates existing vulnerabilities in communities across the United States, presenting growing challenges to human health and safety, quality of life, and the rate of economic growth.”[6]


[1]Fountain, H., Patel, J., & Popovich, N. (2018, January 18). 2017 was one of the hottest years on record. And that was without El Nino. Retrieved from https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/01/18/climate/hottest-year-2017.html

[2]Natural disasters cost U.S. a record $306 billion last year. (2018, January 8). Retrieved from https://www.cbsnews.com/news/us-record-306-billion-natural-disasters-last-year-hurricanes-wilidfires/

[3]The facts on restoring the Louisiana Coast. (2017, November 2). Retrieved from https://www.waltonfamilyfoundation.org/learning/flash-cards/facts-on-restoring-the-louisiana-coast

[4]Scientific consensus: Earth’s climate is warming. (2019). Retrieved from https://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/

[5]Foley, K.(2017, September 5).Those 3% of scientific papers that deny climate change? A review found them all flawed. Retrieved from https://qz.com/1069298/the-3-of-scientific-papers-that-deny-climate-change-are-all-flawed/

[6]Fourth National Climate Assessment. (2017). Retrieved fromhttps://nca2018.globalchange.gov/

Join us

Stay up to date.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Share: