U.S. politics has always been rough and tumble, but lately Washington has taken a frightening turn. These days, it seems we talk past, rather than to, one another. Reason and persuasion—the pillars of our democracy—are being replaced by anger and intimidation.
But there is an organization that believes what unites us as Americans is still stronger than what divides us. We are No Labels, and we are looking for the nation’s most talented and dedicated people to join our growing team.
The No Labels Fellows Program is a once-in-a lifetime boot camp for young people looking for an opportunity to shape the present and future of American democracy. No Labels Fellows are recent college graduates who participate in an intensive, year-long training program in development, communications, social media, and nonprofit work. Fellows gain experience across several disciplines, interact with members of Congress, business and community leaders, and help build a grassroots movement across the country.
The No Labels Fellows Program has a competitive application process, and the select few who are chosen will be asked to make a one-year commitment to No Labels. Recent Fellows have gone on to law school, graduate programs, political campaigns, government offices, and other nonprofit organizations. (No Labels may also offer some of its Fellows full-time positions at the organization.)
The ideal candidates thrive in a startup-like culture and easily pivot from assignment to assignment. No Labels seeks a can-do attitude, the ability to handle multiple projects, strong oral and written communication skills, and a keen eye for detail. Fellow candidates should have a strong awareness of U.S. politics and an understanding of the political system. No Labels is a friendly, fast-paced work environment with a bipartisan, mission-driven team.
Duties and Responsibilities
Fellows rotate through various roles in the organization, learning the most important aspects of digital engagement, grassroots organization, fundraising, and policy development from the top practitioners in the field.
- Plan and execute events across the country featuring conversations with the nation’s top political, business, and policy leaders.
- Engage citizen leaders across the country via in-person meetings and events, phone calls, and email outreach.
- Research policy ideas and political leaders related to No Labels’ grassroots efforts.
- Maintain databases of business and thought leaders.
- Conduct research on current and future donors.
- Write briefings and prepare meetings for principals and surrogates.
- Research political activity and spending in campaigns across the country.
- Brainstorm and create content for No Labels’ social media platforms.
- Build and maintain media lists and staff press events.
- Learn the basics of digital analytics to optimize No Labels’ digital media strategy.
- Research and write blog posts and other web content.
- Bachelor’s degree (preference for recent college graduates or graduating seniors.)
- Cumulative 1-2 years of professional work experience (can include internships)
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, especially Word and Excel, is a plus
- Extremely strong attention to detail
- Exceptional communication skills and ability to multitask
- Ability to meet deadlines while managing multiple projects
- Team player and willingness to collaborate across departments
- “No task too small” attitude and demonstrated eagerness to learn
- Politically astute with knowledge of the legislative and executive branches
How to Apply
For consideration, please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please include “No Labels Fellow” in the subject line of your email. No phone calls or office drop-ins please.